Dum Dee Dum... I am not a super hero neither am i spiderman. I am going to save the world... like as if you would believe. I am a maniac. I came from an outer space which is filled with water. I learn swimming at the age of zero.I wail like a cry baby. I crawl like spiderman, i fly like superman, i drive like batman. I live in wonderland. Rugrats is my friend, so is peter pan.
I was away from school today, and spent some time on literature, which i haven't touched in a long,long while, because it seems to be much easier to study for lit than for subjects like physics and maths: for lit, if u understand, you understand, unlike phys and maths where you have to practise and practise. of course i guess if you udnerstand concepts etc, you wouldnt have to practise. it's just that i understand words better than symbols and the like. not to say that i understand certain definitions that are given in phy tho.
did themes for much ado about nothing as well as re-read the whole play. i personally don't really see the comedy, except the slap stick kind provided by beatrice and benedick. i remember this critique i once read that said that shakespeare's comedies are comedies because they come with a happy ending; the joy and merrimaking is secondary. now, why is a comedy a comedy only because of a happy ending? i appreciate that part, because of the dance at the end of much ado, and the weddings which signify reunion. but what of other comedies such as twelfth night and the merchant of venice? let's tackle them one at a time.
Twelfth Night
there is little dance and merriment, in fact the play starts with a tragedy. Viola has been shipwrecked (hmm or is it olivia? i think it's viola) and so lands up on that island. then there is little dance and song ,except by feste the fool. there is a malevolent subplot in malvolio, everyone is happily married but malvolio, and the fool sings a happy ending song, "The rain it raineth every day"
compared to much ado,at least much ado has a happier atmosphere. even the church scene is so tragically dramatic that it becomes sadistically comic.
The Merchant of Venice
a comedy i cannot understand. I would call it a problem play, though i can't remember if it has actually been classified as one. vengeance is exacted, lovers elope and are back together. maybe comedies are just about lovers being together. i shall have to read another comedy in my free time to prove my conjecture ( i hat the word hypthesis. can't remember why), ormaybe just charles lamb would be less time consuming, but a contortion of Shakespeare's words would have occured.
I also read a volume of Agatha Christie's works, The ABC Mystery. Many years ago ( i can actually count many...a few would be 3 or 4 years, but it's more than that) I read Murder on the Orient Express and was stunned by the meticulousnss of the detective Hercule Poirot. Never ever did pick up any of her volumes after that, because that was the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys craze period. I stil have the Nancy Drew collection. I guess one thing I don't like about Agatha Christie is how she has so many characters instead of having a central one, like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle with Sherlock Holmes. Did you know that at one period of time when I was in primary school I actually mixed up Sherlock Holmes and William Shakespeare? I thought Sherlock Holmes was an author and couldnt place Shakespeare. I suppose many characters add variety, because the interest of the reader lies not with the main detective but with the development of plot, but it would have been nice to just have one powerful detecetive instead of so many. They're all in London, wouldn't they possibly have heard of each other and come together to form an agency or seomthing?
I've always felt that mystery writers will make the best criminals but someone, either ccl or hx proposed that there are probably loopholes in the tale that we as laymen do not see, but a real police officer would notice straightaway and thus find the criminal (who in this case would be the mystery's author). After all, what we see on CSI and other police shows are mostly unreal, as the SPF officers told me during thework attachment i was on last november. so far haven't had a chance to try out this theory, maybe i should mail one of the officers when i've time to ask about my conjecture.